The next day
Early the next morning, my orthopedist's office was calling me. I guess the ER had filled them in on my unfortunate experience. So, I headed to his office, waited for what seemed to me to be an eternity and then finally he entered the room.
First thing he said was "What the hell is this??" Meaning, what kind of a wrapping job had the ER done to my ankle the night before. (lots of ace wrap and tape). He then looked at my X-rays and asked how in the world I'd done what I had. I told him I "fell off the ladder". He then explained that the one break I was diagnosed with at the ER was actually more like 3 and that I was going to need surgery. He also made the comment that injuries like mine are usually seen in Europe on the Autobonne after high velocity accidents and that they sometimes result in amputation. My response to that was disbelief. Amputation after following off a step ladder??? He quickly reassured me that wasn't going to happen to me but surgery would be necessary anyway.Unfortunately, at that point my leg was too swollen for that, so instead I was rewrapped, ordered to have a CT that Wednesday and return to his office on the following Monday.
Something I learned from that experience. If bones are broken, xrays and CT's are a bit painful.
The following week, I returned to his office where I was then told that I had 5 breaks. I'd "jammed the joint" up into the fractures and it would need to be reconstructed. Ah, happy day. He thought I would need plates, screws, pins, to repair the damage and surgery was scheduled for 2 days later.
Wow, that makes me tired just thinking about it. More next time.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home